SUBJECT: Identification for High School Diploma Test Registration The New Jersey Department of Education is clarifying what forms of documentation High School Equivalency applicants will need to provide in order to demonstrate identity and residency. Essentially, these new guidelines are meant to provide ease of access to all applicants, including immigrant populations. The new guidelines are modeled directly on similarly-intended rules concerning the eligibility of children of immigrants or undocumented individuals to attend school consistent with the provisions set forth at N.J.A.C. 6A:22-3.3 and 3.4.

Effective immediately, in order to demonstrate eligibility applicants are required to provide:

• Driver’s Licenses, Permits, Passports, Voter registrations, School/College ID, Employee ID, or other photo identification, valid or expired, that has been issued by a public entity or private third party; And one or more of the following:

• Property tax bills; deeds; contracts of sale; leases; mortgages; signed letters from landlords; and other evidence of property ownership, tenancy, or residency;

• Financial account information; utility bills; delivery receipts; and other evidence of personal attachment to a particular location;

• Court orders; State agency agreements; and other evidence of court or agency placements or directives;

• Receipts; bills; cancelled checks; insurance claims or payments; and other evidence of expenditures demonstrating personal attachment to a particular location or to support the test taker

• Medical reports; counselor or social worker assessments; employment documents; unemployment claims; benefit statements; and other evidence of circumstances demonstrating family or economic hardship, or temporary residency;

• Affidavits, certifications, and sworn attestations pertaining to statutory criteria from the parent, guardian, person keeping an “affidavit student,” adult student, person(s) with whom a family is living, or others, as appropriate;

• Documents pertaining to military status and assignment; and



• Any other business record or document issued by a governmental entity.